Search This Blog

28 November 2008

Irritation Triggers

The BBC's "One Show" at 7 pm weekday evenings has this week been discussing a couple of related subjects: stress levels and irritating words and phrases. (You can do their simple stress test on the website - and get tips on stress reduction)

My stress level is raised by News readers constantly responding to a correspondent's report with "Thank you very much .. indeed". What's wrong with "Thank you"?

Other contributors to my stress score are ..

"At the end of the day"
"Twenty four seven"
"At this moment in time"
"I should OF"
"..like..like..like.."
"To be quite honest with you"
"Minging" and "Minger"
"Par for the course"
"Horses for courses"
"Pushing the envelope" (What the hell does that mean?)
"Thinking outside the box"
"Blue sky thinking"
"Community leaders" (Who elected them?)
"Helping the Police with their enquiries"
"The VAST majority"
"With great respect" (before saying something disrespectful)
"It affects you and I" (Try removing the words 'you and' - then see how it sounds! Should be "It affects you and me")

All aspects of "text speak".

Finally I am irritated by fanatical pedants like me.


There - that's better! I've just reduced my stress level.

1 comment:

Roberta said...

Hmmm.
Sounds like you're feeling a bit cranky. (Who ISN'T these days.) I'd be interested in things you've heard, seen, purchsed, or noticed lately that you actually LIKE, that have made you laugh, or brought you joy.(Outside of politics.) That's the list I'd like to see.

Thank you very much, indeed.
With great respect.

:)

R.