Search This Blog

21 May 2008

Inside the Mind of the Bureacrat

This morning I received a letter from my local District Council. They had written to me because my part-time work includes driving children to and from school. I was instructed either to attend a course on the safeguarding of children against physical, mental or sexual abuse, or to take the course online. The bureacrat who wrote the letter explained how I could find the appopriate website and how the course would be laid out. At the end of each module I would take an online test, and if I passed all four modules I would be able to print out my Certificate of Basic Awareness in Child Protection. So far so good, but then came the advice, "Your computer will need to be attached to a printer".

I can't help feeling that anyone not in possession of sufficient intelligence to realise that in order to print a document from one's computer it would need to be attached to a printer should not really be in charge of a vehicle, let alone children.

Anyway, I took the online course (it took about an hour) and passed all four tests. Fortunately I also managed to print out my certificate so I could send a copy to the bureacrat. Perhaps I should have enclosed an accompanying letter advising that in order to read it she should first remove it from the envelope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr riverman.
At your age, and I mean that in the best possible taste.(Now that guy was something else,you know who we are talking about)Now your not that old,if your job requires you to go through all that crap then pack it up.Spend your time,and I know you must like doing the job, but spend your time making the people on your web site happy. Think of them as the kids, you go though enough checks,I know because my dad used to do it, 1997 he was 71 when he decided that it was getting to much for him.Always bringing new stuff out he used to say, and mum was glad when he did
call it a day.Keep your web site going, good luck. J Wise!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry!! my dads now 82 the old git is still going strong,just thought I would pass that on to you.good luck again Jamie Wise!!!!