Search This Blog

11 May 2008

Car Review

Can you remember all those Skoda jokes? A few years have gone by since they were common currency in the comedy world, harking back to the days of Communist Czechoslovakia and the somewhat less than wonderful cars they produced. Mind you, we bought them pretty cheaply so perhaps we shouldn't have complained. "You get what you pay for." I almost miss the jokes ..

How do you double the value of your Skoda? Remove the badge.
Why do Skodas have heated rear windows? To keep your hands warm when you're pushing it.

A lot has happened since those days: the "iron curtain" melted, and Czechoslovakia reverted to Slovakia and the Czech Republic. German car makers VW bought Skoda (they must have seen some real potential there) and the quality and consequent popularity of Skodas rose in leaps and bounds. In fact, some motoring correspondents say that the build quality of the vehicles coming out of the Czech factory surpasses that of the VW cars coming out of the German factories.

My own experience backs this up. I have been driving a Skoda Octavia 1.9 litre diesel with automatic gearbox for five years, and can report that it has not suffered a single significant problem. It has been a joy to drive and on long journeys returned over 55 miles per gallon.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to change my car, and so I exchanged my Skoda Octavia 1.9 diesel automatic for a Skoda Octavia 1.9 diesel automatic! It is a 2007 model with 12,000 miles on the clock, previously used by Skoda management.

Although the same model by name as my original car, it has important differences: it has a new 6-speed automatic "DSG" (dual shift gearbox), i.e., if you want manual changes for any reason you just move the gearshift sideways, then give it a nudge forwards to change to a higher gear and a nudge backwards to go lower. In normal automatic mode, although you can just hear changes in the engine note as it goes through the gears you feel absolutely nothing.

This model is the "Elegance" rather than my previous "Ambiente" and so has a higher spec., including automatic climate control that can be adjusted individually by the driver and the front seat passenger, plus a facility for cooling the glove box. The diesel engine is very quiet, and inside the car it is not much different from driving a petrol engine. Another nice touch is the automatically dimming rear view mirror when a bright light comes up behind you. Another new feature (to me at least) is Cruise Control which I tried out on the A64 dual carriageway between York and Malton, a section that includes a steep hill. It was great fun setting the speed at 70 mph, and taking my foot off the pedal. When we hit the steep hill, the car just dropped a gear and maintained 70 mph to the top of the hill, with me doing nothing but steer. (OK, you people who've been driving with cruise control for years - give me a break - this is my first. Allow me to display some pleasure!)

The in-car entertainment includes FM and AM radio, having three FM and three AM memory banks, each of which holds 6 stations, so that's up to 36 pre-set stations. There is a single CD slot above the radio console, but in the (cavernous) boot (sorry trunk, if you're American!) there is also a 6-CD changer unit, so there is potential for playing up to 7 CDs. If that isn't enough to be going on with you can also listen to all the music on your iPod.

I can't believe that there will still be people out there who worry about a Skoda badge on the front of their car, but I have no hesitation in recommending these reliable, well-built, economical cars.









3 comments:

Roberta said...

Cool Car! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I agree on the first comment, cool car dude, it would have looked tons better and you know what I am going to say now don't you. Its just a shame you did not take the badge off. I know your number! I have a device which can read through the blurr, why would I need that you might ask.Just something I came up with in my shed, There is lots of things people do in there sheds to-day to while away the hours, some good some bad!!!! I'm one of the good guys so no worries eh. From Jan to Aug(check them if you like)thats 8 months,there were 12,yes,12 skodas stolen in England. Now would you buy a car for those reasons if you knew, be honest now. I agree with the sigma about the badge,I think all the old jokes are now all a load of old bullshit.Look who builds the cars! Nice colour car I like blue, not the colour of my eyes but things can't be perfect, and I'm only joking about the badge. Enjoy it and be safe, now this just as to be Anonymous as it not,nice little site you're got Mr Beck,spent a lot of time at it I bet.Have you got a shed, every one as a shed.

Anonymous said...

Its only a badge what the hell Mr riverman if you like the car thats the done deal. The car that counts,the new skoda superb nice spaceous car its a tad longer. Engine range as def got VW written all over it,but its a great achievement. I think the engine which may or may not interest you would is the 2,ltr tdi unit, (they still do the 1 9ltr) 140 bhp it will no dought account for more sales than the others. There's the 170 bhp now that needs a pilots licence CRI diesel, its not of this world.There is a price to pay in fuel con figure combined is 46,not bad but we all know they never live up to that do they.I reckon your 1.9 gives 105bhp,there's the dif in fuel con.Would the new skoda superb fitt into your garage,I'm going to blogg off now to some other blog site.