Search This Blog

12 August 2006

Blogmania

When I became "Blogger Beck" I decided that I wanted to avoid a single theme or mood. Instead, I would try to present a multi-faceted, eclectic mix of subjects and moods. The news at the moment is almost universally gloomy, be it the conflict between Israel and Lebanon, the discovery of a terrorist plot to blow up airliners in mid-Atlantic, or the fact that David Beckham has been dropped from the England Football Team by the new Coach Steve McLaren. Even worse - one of my socks has gone missing again.

I have always hoped that I could reach a readership that understood the meaning of words like multi-faceted and eclectic (if for no other reason that they might drop me a line to explain them to me). Obviously I've been pulling the wool over some people's eyes as I seem to have picked up a couple of readers who run Knitting blogs. They are generally complimentary, for which I am grateful, since they could so easily have just knit-picked my posts. The last time I looked at a knitting pattern it struck me as being a great deal more complicated than a page of HTML code, and possibly even more baffling than Javascript. I am full of admiration for anyone who can make sense of them (and that includes my dear wife).

Wondering how to lighten the mood, albeit for a short time, I was rooting through some old files on my computer and was pleased to come across a collection of slogans for car bumper stickers. (I believe for readers on the far side of the herring pond that should read "car fender stickers". I could be wrong: my position on U.S. English is still somewhere half way up the learning curve.) I have no idea where they came from, but I freely give acknowledgment and credit to whomsoever collected them in the first place. So, here are some of them, to lighten your day ...
  • I love cats...they taste just like chicken
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
  • Born Free. . . . .Taxed to Death
  • Cover me. I'm changing lanes.
  • As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in public schools
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
  • Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.
  • Conserve toilet paper, use both sides.
  • Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let her sleep
  • SAVE A TREE: Eat a beaver
  • I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
  • According to my calculations the problem doesn't exist.
  • Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.
  • Pride is what we have. Vanity is what others have.
  • A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
  • He who laughs last thinks slowest
  • Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
  • Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
  • Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.
  • Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.
  • i souport publik edekasion
  • Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.
  • Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...
  • 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
  • "Auntie Em: Hate you, Hate Kansas, Taking the dog." - Dorothy.
  • "Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"
"i souport publik edekasion" is a familiar kind of language, because in recent weeks I have been subscribing to a community question-and-answer site called Yahoo! Answers, and there is a disturbingly high proportion of contributors who actually write like this. There are some very good questions covering complex subjects in politics, chemistry, physics, philosophy, etc., but a high proportion of questions are mind-blowingly dumb, such as, "Can I get pregnant by masturbating?" and "How can I get a girl to like me?"

It's all very reassuring because I can answer those questions.

Onward and upward - keep smiling!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really? You think this question is "mind-blowingly dumb?"

"How can I get a girl to like me?"


I would have to ---politely---disagree.

With love,
C.W.H.

Larjmarj said...

Actually...bumper sticker would be correct.
However, bonnet=hood
windscreen=windshield
boot=trunk

That's about all I can think of, thanks for a little levity, we could all use some from time to time.

P.S. If I eat a watermelon seed will it grow in my stomach?