Search This Blog

07 August 2006

Bedroom Bat

I received a phone call late Sunday evening from a distressed neighbour. She had a bat whizzing around in her bedroom. She couldn't persuade it to go anywhere near the open windows, and having a strong dislike of flying creatures (especially in the bedroom) asked for assistance. By the time I got round next door the bat had flown downstairs and was now doing arial acrobatics in the kitchen and dining room. The neighbour's cat, whilst perfectly used to chasing birds, took one look at the cavorting bat and beat a hasty retreat.

Meanwhile, my neighbour had produced a fishing net. I noticed the bat coming straight at me, and took a wild swing with the net with more desperation than accurancy, but was astounded to find that the net now contained the bat. I covered the top of the net with a large envelope and walked my catch down the road before releasing it (so nobody could acuse me of taking my bat home!)

Job done, I wished my neighbour a good night and retired to my own (bat-free) bed to dream of big game hunting.

4 comments:

Larjmarj said...

The only sad part to this story is that there isn't any video to go along with it. :-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Batman,

Wow.

You REALLY ARE the Catcher in the Rye(dale.)

Love,
The chick with the hooves.

Riverman said...

Sorry about there being no video, Larjmarj. I abandoned any idea of making a video because I wan't sure which would make the best subject: the bat or my half-dressed neighbour.

Dear Chick with Hooves - it was lucky I lived right next door, as my batmobile was in for a 10,000 mile service.

Anonymous said...

If a bat gets into your house, just open the door/window and stand still.... the bat will use it's 'radar' to locate the exit. Running around with a net just confuses them.