Search This Blog

29 July 2006

Political Correctness Lunacy


I want to encourage as many people as possible to rise up and rebel against the rising tide of "Political Correctness".

This morning I came across another example of it in - would you believe - my local baker's shop. Do you remember growing up in a world where there was a story about a Gingerbread Man who escaped from the oven and ran away? How many times have you baked, or eaten gingerbread men?

Oh my goodness! We can't be having that kind of thing nowadays can we?! It's offensive (to whom, I am not quite sure. Women? Why?) The North Yorkshire company that runs a chain of bakeries in my part of the world now sells - wait for it - "GINGER PERSONS"!

"A jam doughnut and a ginger person please". I don't think so!

I steadfastly refuse to accept the idea that one day some idiot with no brains can suddenly decide that a phrase or a word that we have used for generations will offend someone and we should therefore invent another word or phrase.

Please support my revolution by promising yourself that you will use whatever words or phrases you know to be correct, or those with which you are comfortable, and not words or phrases that some (to used a North of England word) barmpot has decided you must use.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean to tell me that Lionel Beck, the last of the red hot Liberals is offended by a "GingerPERSON!!"

Can't believe it.

But that's the way the cookie crumbles.

With love,
The National Association for the Advancement of Gingerbread Broads.

Riverman said...

Hey! "Red hot Liberal" does not necessarily equate to "PC Nut"!

When I was a Pollution Prevention Officer I often had to lift heavy MANHOLE covers. Thank God they weren't "PERSONHOLE" covers (which actually some geek did once propose!)With three extra letters they would have been even heavier.

(Are the Gingerbread Broads affiliated to the Norfolk Broads?)