Search This Blog

08 November 2006

Waking up to Good News

I woke up this morning to news on the radio that put a smile on my face. As a long-term friend of the American people (as opposed to the "America" represented by the intellectually challenged Bush and his "neo-con corporatacrocy" partners in crime) I was happy and relieved to hear that the American voters had awakened from their Republican dream, realised it had been a nightmare, and put the Democrats back in control of the House of Representatives. Furthermore it was just possible that they might pull off the same thing in the Senate, but it was too close to call, and there might be some recounts.

To this interested Brit, however, the whole system is very confusing and I can't get my head round a system which can result in a House majority that is opposed to the executive president. It's a bit like us having the Labour Party's Tony Blair as Prime Minister but with a majority of Conservative MPs in the House of Commons. Such an arrangement would be untenable. If anyone can explain to me the logic behind the American system I'm always happy to learn!

I look forward eagerly to the next Presidential Election.

1 comment:

Larjmarj said...

Looking for logic? sheesh what ARE you thinking!
As for the results of the election I am still pinching myself with the reaization that the fear mongers and intelligent designers didn't get to the masses and manage to scare them into "staying the course". As for the fact that there is a Democratic congress and a Republican executive branch and conservative supreme court? I look at it this way...better that the train is stalled on the tracks than speeding out of control.