Search This Blog

21 November 2006

More Nuts

I recently wrote about religious nuts. The other nuts that drive me bonkers are the patriotic nuts. The “my country right or wrong” brigade. There’s nothing wrong with patriotism but the best kind is that which acknowledges faults and endeavours to put them right for the good of the country in which one purports to believe. Personally I believe patriotism runs a persistent danger of over-spilling into pernicious nationalism – an altogether different species of patriotism to the noble kind.

Here is an example – one of those pernicious, smug little messages that circulate around the internet vie e-mail groups. It was sent to me the other day … I was going to copy and paste it here but have just discovered I’ve deleted it. Anyway the gist of it was “I encountered a guy with a ‘I hate America’ kind of placard, and I told him that my grandfather died in the 2nd World War, my father died in Korea, and my brother died in Vietnam. They all died so that you could stand here and protest. If I had an umbrella I’d stick it up your ass and open it. God bless America.”

What struck me about this, and so many other anecdotes like it, is how factually incorrect it is: the bit about the 2nd World War is right – this was the last major conflict in which the USA fought from the moral high ground and helped defeat the odious Nazis. But as for Korea and Vietnam – they are totally irrelevant to this argument. What did all those American deaths achieve? Communist North Korea still exists, and Communist Vietnam still exists. Indeed the Vietnam war ended with an ignominious American retreat. Finally, you have to laugh (or get very angry) at someone who in one phrase wishes to stick un umbrella up someone’s ass, then in the next phrase invokes the name of God. It’s priceless loony stuff!

1 comment:

Larjmarj said...

Right you are! the "git r' done" crowd over here are almost as bad as the "God, gays and guns" group. I remember when the Iraq quagmire first started there were all these ridiculous yellow ribbon magnets on almost every vehicle exhorting free thinkers like myself to "support the troops". I was about to counter with one of the "I support the guy in Taiwan who made this ribbon" ribbon when the trend mercifully faded. Funny I don't see many of those ribbons around lately. I personally have a mylar rainbow colored peace sign on the back of my little Saturn. Of course if you follow the news on Yahoo, a neighborhood in Colorado recently got all up in arms about a resident who hung up a peace sign shaped wreath. They claimed it was anti-Iraq war. (I think that may have been the point) and that...are you ready?...it is a satanic symbol. However Colorado is also the state that gave us our recent and I think finest mega-church pastor scandal, including methamphetamine and gay prostitution. Maybe there's something in the water?