Search This Blog

09 November 2009

Unhealthy Republicans

I was pleased when I read that President Obama's Health Bill had been passed (albeit narrowly) by the House of Representatives because I believe that all people should have access to good health care.

I was astonished that every single Republican Representative voted against it, and incredulous at the demonstrators outside holding up placards saying "Kill the Bill", and "No to big government".

What are these people saying? Are these slogans code for "We don't really care that 46 million Americans do not have / cannot afford / cannot get health insurance?"

And what's all this about "Big Government"? It's not as if a UK-style National Health Service is being created. It isn't.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with "Big Government". Its virtue or otherwise depends upon the areas in which it is being imposed. For example, America could hardly have an Army, Navy and Air Force, and a Defence Strategy, without "Big Government".

I wish the Health Bill well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you should focus on the 39 Democrats who voted against it instead of tring the old tired and true liberal media bias of blaming the Republicans (and especially Bush)for everything.

Riverman said...

Dear Anonymous,
I never mentioned Bush, neither was I apportioning blame. I was merely asking "What are the objections to the Health Bill?" - which is a good question to be asking the 39 Democrats you mention.