Search This Blog

27 November 2006

Wireless Route to Madness

The two computers in my house connect to the internet via a Belkin wireless router. In the current debate on energy efficiency and reduction of consumption I read that by not leaving the TV on standby each night this saves about £45 per year. This got me thinking about other things that are left on continuously. One of them is my wireless router. The supplier recommended leaving it on all the time, so I went to one of those technical support forums to ask whether it would really matter if I unplugged it each night and rebooted it in the morning.

I got about a dozen replies within hours; half of them said "Keep it switched on" the other half said "Switch if off". One said go into the router settings and disconnect it via the software before unplugging it otherwise it would get confused. Most of the advice came from people who wrote in computer geek speak liberally sprinkled with acronyms and initials such as MAC, SSID, DHCP, IMO AND WPA2.

I am a bear of very little brain, and what there is of it is now thoroughly confused, so I have made an executive decision to keep it switched on and stop worrying about how hot it gets.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The debate about items on standby is an interesting one. A lot of wasted energy is given off as heat. Heat which if it is not given off by your appliances is given off by radiators as 'Tommy the Thermostat' [evenin' all] tells them to compensate for the drop in temperature.

What really makes a difference is the insulation etc. which most older houses [mine included] lack.

To really save energy, get rid of the car. Painful, yes - but if we are going to kid ourselves that we are being 'green' by driving a big Volvo on a 6 mile round trip to the bottle bank then we don't realise that more major lifestyle changes maybe required than 'switching off'

Anonymous said...

This illustrates the benefit of going with a 'gut instinct'. This is also important on 'health issues' as you can eventually always find a doctor who will confirm your prejudices.

So it is always useful to take stock of what they are before visiting them.

Riverman said...

Get rid of the car? I got rid of one of them - what more do you want?! But seriously, the point is well made, and I drive an economical diesel Skoda Octavia returning up to 58 m.p.g., and I never take it to the shops etc. if I can walk or use the bike.

Anonymous said...

Give up my car, what!!! are you serious. I would rather get rid of aaa! let me think for a yes of cause. My 3rd car its simple, I bet you all thought I was going to say the wife. No I got rid of her 3 years ago, that certainly saved me a lot of co2. Sorry I mean cash. I go to the bottle bank about every 4 days, it usualy takes me an hour to find it.And no I do not drive there,are you kidding in that condition.Happy blogging christmas for 2006,ok its a bit late but its the thought that counts.
Signing off Jed,or am I Edd.